Sunday, August 7, 2011

Collin's Birthday

I still can't get over how fast Collin's first year went by! I feel like we came home with this tiny bundle, blinked, and he was up and walking. How does that happen??

We've been busy, busy, busy these past few weeks, so I know I'm late in posting, but I did want to share a few pictures from Collin's birthday. We had a fairly low key birthday party with all of the extended family (including my parents on Skype!) and Collin got a kick out of being the center of attention for an entire day. It's funny, I had been a little worried that Drew would have a hard time allowing it to be Collin's birthday instead of his, but Drew spent the day excited and happy for his little brother. I heard him singing Happy Birthday and asking Collin if he was excited about his day quite a few times throughout the afternoon. It was cute and made all my worrying seem silly. Drew has a sweet heart and his excitement for Collin added energy and fun to an already exciting day.


The Dr. Seuss Cake! I love making the boy's cakes each year. It's one of the things my parents always did for us, and it's one of my favorite things to do for our boys. This was the first time I've made a cake using fondant though. I think fondant usually tastes terrible, so I hunted around on the internet and found a recipe for Marshmallow Fondant that I thought I'd try instead. Turns out, the fondant tasted great, working with fondant however, was awful!! I think I threatened to throw the entire cake away at least twice before it was finished. Thank goodness Auntie Jenn was on hand to talk some sense into me! In spite of all the fondant drama, I actually loved how the cake turned out.

In true Dr. Seuss fashion, we also made the cake topsy turvy :)

Coll's mini cake :)


This little rocking chair has been in Nathan's family for years and every kid since Nathan's grandma has a picture in it around their first birthday. We tried to get a good one with Collin, but as you can see both boys were clearly more interested in something else


Nathan's mom has made a quilt for each of the boys on their first birthday. Drew's was firetrucks, and Collin's is Dr. Seuss. We love these quilts!! (P.S. Isn't she talented?)

Collin was mostly interested in the wrapping while Drew on the other hand, was more interested with what Collin's presents held inside!

Cake time! Ready....

Set....

Go!!! Collin took one tiny bite first, got a taste of what the thing in front of him was, and immediately went to eating the cake this way.


When it was all said and done, we had one happy, messy little boy. ....Well, actually we had two! Drew looked only slightly less messy than Collin after his cake! ;)

Aaaaand, when it was all said and done, and everyone had gone home, birthday boy tripped and fell onto the foot of the coffee table, resulting in this. Unfortunately, the picture doesn't even do the goose egg justice. It was huge! Fortunately, after some ice and tylenol he was fine. He is however, still sporting a good sized bump on his head almost 3 weeks later and after talking with his doctor, I learned it may stay a while (I guess the hematoma where the bruise was can calcify and leave the bump for up to a year! Let's hope that's not the case!).

Anyway, we had a great time celebrating Collin! I can't wait to see where the next year takes us!

No comments:

Post a Comment