Monday, May 14, 2012

Come fly with me

Back at Christmastime my parents gave both Nathan and my brother-in-law Burke a gift certificate for a flight lesson. I think it was a huge surprise for both of them and something that I know they have been itching to do for a while now. The lesson included a night class on a Friday and then a Saturday lesson. It had to be scheduled out of course, and the first date that worked for everyone involved was at the end of April. This was a looooong four months to wait not only for Nathan and Burke who were like two little kids looking forward to a trip to Disneyland, but a looooong four months for Jenn and I who had to hear about all the fun they would soon be having. Since my parents obviously couldn't be here for the lesson itself, this post is mostly for them so that they could see all of the pictures and hear about the Pandora's box their gift so easily opened....

So yes, the big day finally came. I was in San Francisco for a girls’ day with Kathleen and Kimmie, so I wasn’t able to go watch, but I heard all about it. Nathan was practically buzzing with excitement when I got home. Heck, for that matter, since the little boys had gone to watch, they were buzzing too.

The class Friday night was a lot of logistics on how planes work and fly. Fun stuff, but not the good stuff. The good stuff came on Saturday. Since students were taken up two at a time, naturally, Burke and Nathan decided to go up together. Each of them got to take off, fly a pattern, and land twice. On the last landing, they switched with each other and did it all over again.(I was surprised they were able to do so much for a first lesson). They of course, were giddy about it. Seriously, giddy. It was just ridiculous. :)

Anyway, Nathan had thought since the actual flight lesson was only an hour long, that Drew and Collin might have some fun going to the airport to watch. Auntie Jenn was a trooper because since I was gone for the day, she was on duty for going along in my place. (I’d like to think she had a bit of fun too though…after all, she got to watch the man of her dreams fly a plane. And what girl wouldn't like that, really?). Well it turned out that since Nathan and Burke’s lesson was the last of the day, when it was all said and done, the littles were not only able to come and watch Daddy fly, they also got a first hand look at the plane (and a few others around the airport)! Do you see now why all of my boys were buzzing when I got home from San Francisco?? It seems unnecessary to say that this lesson was a major highlight for the guys.

...And thank you so much Mom and Dad, because like I mentioned earlier, this has certainly opened Pandora's box! Nathan came back and promptly looked into just how much it would take to continue flying and also very clearly informed me that his flight instructor also teaches helicopter lessons. He’s oh, so subtle with his hints. ;)




 This is what happens when I send the guys with the camera and tell them to take pictures. I was hoping for a picture of them in front of the plane, or turning around with ear to ear grins from the cockpit, but nope. This was my one and only picture of Nathan actually flying. (That is Nathan on the left if you couldn't tell. His flight instructor is on the right). Apparently the act of flying took precedence over taking pictures. Shocking, I know.

The private planes are kept at a much smaller airport than Fresno's main airport, so the little boys were able to watch the guys take off practically from the runway itself.

Uncle Burkie's turn! Check out how tiny this plane was...look how close their shoulders were!

Fresno....

...Oh beautiful Fresno




Hope these pictures do justice (at least in portion) for the fun day the guys had. Dad, since we're already hearing about the "next time", you and Ty Ty should come down and join the guys for a weekend. Maybe for those helicopter lessons?? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment